Monday, September 16, 2013

Quinoa Salad with Blueberries, Strawberries, and Mint



Jon and I were invited to a dinner tonight at a friend's house and, as the type of guest that I am, asked if we could bring anything. The suggested salad, and after browsing my recipes, I decided to try this one that I only made once before. I wanted to try a new recipe, but with such limited time (I was told two hours before we had to leave!) this quinoa and fruit salad was great, quick option! 


Quinoa a'cookin'! 

Mmmm berries 

This juicer was given to me by a friend as my going away present to Boston. I love it and any chance I get to use it!

The recipe calls for fresh herbs including mint. I cheated with this mix and added my own mint!

Dressing!

All packed up and ready to go!

Not suggested serving size. Suggested serving size much larger!


Ingredients
2 cups uncooked quinoa
4 cups fresh water
1.5 cups fresh blueberries, washed, picked over
1.5 cups fresh strawberries, washed, sliced
6 cups baby salad greens
A handful of fresh chopped herbs: cilantro, dill, parsley and mint1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Fresh squeezed lime juice from 2 limes
Pepper, to taste


Instructions
Place the quinoa, water, and sea salt in a large to medium rice cooker, and cover. Cook until all the water is evaporated and the quinoa is tender. Scoop the cooked quinoa into a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Let it cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, prepare the dressing, fruit and baby greens.

Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and pepper. Taste test it, and adjust seasonings.

Slice the strawberries and mix together with the blueberries.

Distribute the baby greens and chopped herbs onto plates. All the quinoa, then strawberries and blueberries. Drizzle with dressing and serve!


Recipe via Gluten Free Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment