Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ode to: Philadelphia

The skyline from the Art Museum

Oh, Philly, my Philly. The city of brotherly love, my first city love. So many good memories, secret places, and delightful spaces that it's hard to name them all. Being a relatively large city (around 1.5 million people), it allows for a wide variety of cultures, people, and habits to mingle and marinate. A lot of people complain of Philly being dangerous and ugly, but the "sketchy" parts make it real, and a challenging place to live and love. My uncle always said Philly's grime was part of its charm, and I agree.

Two of my best friends live within the city, which may be a reason why I love it so much. I also went on my first two dates with my husband here, so there's an added sentimental attachment. It was also the first city I can remember going to as a young girl, and I remember my face being plastered against the school bus windows while craning my neck in a vain attempt to see the tops of the buildings. I think if I were to come back to the east coast at any point, I'd love to live in this city, even if only for a little bit. 

City Hall

Some of my closest friends and I at The Barbery 

Independence Hall

My twin sister in Old City

The Franklin Institue (aka the best place everrr)

Me at the Art Museum


1 comment: