Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ode to: Boston

The skyline on a recent kayak trip

I'll admit it: when I moved here I did not love Boston. Every time I looked at the skyline I remember always thinking, "Where's the rest of it?" I thought it was a small town with a big-town attitude, and I did not care for it. I was, for the most part, bored, sad, and lonely. Every (seemingly) desperate attempt I made to make friends seemed to be shallow and not in earnest, and I missed my friends and family back home so much it hurt. I cried almost every day.

Eventually the coldness I had for Boston warmed over and I began to make friends with my classmates, coworkers, and acquaintances. I began to love Boston's quirks and gems, and I soon began to find a circle of friends that I admired, respected, and had tons of fun with. I feel like there's always something going on in this city, whether it be brunch, a DJ night, a poetry reading, book signings, guest speakers, or friend's band playing. Now that we're leaving after my two years here, I'm feeling a sincere and despairing sadness. I love Boston. Well, Cambridge. ;)

At a friend's DJ night

Ice skating on Frog Pond for Valentine's Day

The Red Sox playing last year

The Boston Commons

The harbor seen during a sunset cruise 

A view of Harvard building


From Walden Pond, outside the city

From Spectacle Island

No comments:

Post a Comment