Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Art Nouveau

Alphonse Mucha

Art Nouveau is a style that has always attracted me aesthetically-- something about the beautiful people and clothes with swirls and dreamy backgrounds I found very appealing. I ended up using Aubrey Beardsley and Oscar Wilde's Salome in my final project on image-text analysis, which happened rather serendipitously. I remember telling my thesis advisor that I couldn't think of anything to focus on, and I told him that I was thinking about looking at an illustrated canonical text. He suggested Beardsley and Wilde's art nouveau styled Salome, which was right up my alley. I couldn't have asked for a better match! Nowadays I'm still drawn to anything with an art nouveau aesthetic, and intend on incorporating some of it in my new apartment.

Alphonse Mucha

Jules Cheret

Aubrey Beardsley

Aubrey Beardsley

Henri Toulouse-Lautrec 

Henri Toulouse-Lautrec

No comments:

Post a Comment